Recipe from: Kylie Perrotti
A great way to spice things up, Kylie shows us how she uses Grumpy Ginger curry paste with chickpeas and squash to make the silkiest, smoothest aromatic chickpea curry purée!
|Prep Time: 5 mins||Cook Time: 20 mins||Serves: 3-4|
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas or 3 cups cooked chickpeas from dry
- 2 tablespoons Grumpy Ginger Spicy Malaysian Red Curry Paste
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 (7-ounce) can coconut cream
- 6 ounces blue oyster mushrooms, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
InstructionsPrepare the purée base:
- Heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil in a wide pot. Add the diced squash and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas to the squash and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the curry paste and toss to coat. Sizzle the paste in the hot pan for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender and the liquid has reduced. It shouldn’t be too soupy; you want the liquid to reduce by about half.
Pour in the coconut cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and season again to your preferences.
- Transfer ¾ of the chickpea-squash mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until completely smooth and creamy. Add more liquid if needed until it reaches desired consistency. If the mixture is too thin, add a few spoonfuls of the remaining chickpeas and squash from the pot. Be sure to reserve a few spoonfuls of the unblended chickpeas and squash leftover as you’ll use it at serving.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly, until very crispy and well-browned. Turn off the heat and season with salt.
- Spoon the purée into shallow bowls and smooth it out with the back of your spoon. Arrange a few spoonfuls of the unprocessed chickpeas and squash on top and scatter a few crispy mushrooms on each dish. Serve with chili oil and fresh cilantro, if you like. Enjoy!